Harvest Hero: Dicalite’s First Direct-to-Consumer Product Offering
Enhanced Perlite Mix for improving soil conditions for superior growth and yields
For decades, Dicalite Management Group has been serving the horticultural industry with our multi-mineral offering of diatomaceous earth, perlite, and vermiculite to help soil blenders and commercial growers improve soil conditions for optimal plant growth. Our team of engineers, operations personnel, and agronomists have utilized these very minerals to develop a patent-pending, 3-in-1 soil amendment offered by our first-ever direct-to-consumer brand Harvest Hero. The innovative Enhanced Perlite Mix features a unique, proprietary blend of perlite, diatomaceous earth, and essential nutrients that support the first 30 to 40 days of growth for a variety of plants.
8- and 12-quart bags are available for purchase at www.harvesthero.com. For a limited time only: Harvest Hero’s first 2,000 customers will receive a weather-resistant, “Hammer Head” style rain gauge absolutely free (a $10 retail value) with the purchase of one Harvest Hero Expanded Perlite product.
Backed by Science
Earlier this year, researchers at NC State embarked on a 100+ plant grow study containing Harvest Hero Enhanced Perlite Mix along with additional test groups of Sunshine White Peat Moss mixed with horticultural perlite at a ratio of 75/25. The objective was to determine if Harvest Hero’s Enhanced Perlite Mix improves cannabis growth. The customized research project spanned 12 weeks with critical research assessments on shoot dry weight; root dry mass; and analysis of leaf tissue nutrients, CBD, THC, and terpenes.
Harvest Hero’s Enhanced Perlite Mix is designed to improve the soil conditions to help plants flourish. Research at NC State University has proven this soil amendment to be especially beneficial for cannabis growing. Compared to a traditional control group of a perlite and peat moss, Harvest Hero Enhanced Perlite Mix resulted in:
- Flower Bud Dry Weight: 28% increase vs. control
- Plant Diameter: 22% increase in stem diameter
- 8% increase in height
- Leaf Tissue Analysis – Macro & Micronutrients:
- Macronutrient accumulation – N 12% increase
- Macronutrient accumulation – P 35% increase
- Macronutrient accumulation – K 21% increase
- CBD Yield: 16% increase vs. control
From the results shown, it is obvious that Harvest Hero Enhanced Perlite Mix will produce greater amounts of dried flower weight, increased yields of phytocannabinoids, and overall increases in terpenes. Incorporating nutrients with perlite and diatomaceous earth allows for a synergistic effect which results in enhanced growth and vigor of cannabis plants. According to a leading NC State researcher:
“Harvest Hero Enhanced Perlite Mix produces robust plants which have increased size and diameter, higher amounts of phytocannabinoids, higher yield of flower bud, and an overall enhanced robust nature when compared with plants growing in non-enhanced perlite media.” – A leading NC State researcher.
The Heroic Harvest Hero 3-in-1 Formula
Harvest Hero’s success can be attributed to its unique, patent-pending, 3-in-1 formula featuring diatomaceous earth, perlite, and essential nutrients. John Carroll, Research Agronomist, has been a key contributor to the research behind Harvest Hero Enhanced Perlite Mix. “This media booster is unlike anything currently on the market,” Carroll explains. “While you can find separate perlite, diatomaceous earth, and fertilizer products, Harvest Hero takes the guesswork out of creating the perfect growing environment.”
Perlite is an industrial mineral formed by molten (magmatic) rock, also known as volcanic glass. One of the most important benefits of expanded perlite is that it provides space for both air and water within a soilless mix. In fact, it retains water in three ways: in between individual grains, in channels leading to the cores of the grains, and on the highly irregular surfaces of each particle. Other features and benefits of perlite include:
- Naturally occurring
- Maintains consistent aeration and drainage for plant roots
- Prevents compaction
- Will not decompose over time, depleting soil nitrogen
- Sterile—free of weeds, diseases, and pests
- Lightweight, and ready to use
- Neutral pH—a reliable constant when mixing with organic materials
Diatomaceous earth (DE) is the naturally occurring fossilized remains of diatoms and is a near-pure sedimentary deposit consisting almost entirely of silicon dioxide, one of the world’s most abundant elements. Plant Available Silica (PAS) is translocated to the plant’s cell wall, improving structural integrity to help combat abiotic plant stressors, promoting the resilience of young plants to abiotic stressors and supports against:
- Minimizes pH fluctuations
- leaf evaporation/transpiration loss
Plus, aids in reducing salinity, promotes a neutral PH, adds matrix to the soil, and improves soil quality.
Essential Nutrients (0 – 10 – 10)
Harvest Hero’s Enhanced Perlite Mix is mindfully crafted with essential nutrients for the first four to six weeks of growth. With a 0 – 10 – 10 ratio, it is a source of potassium and phosphorus (with nitrogen provided by your soil choice of sphagnum, peat moss, or coco coir).
- Potassium (K): This nutrient supports overall plant growth, activating dozens of important enzymes for protein synthesis, sugar transport, N and C metabolism, and photosynthesis.
- Phosphorus (P): While this nutrient is essential for plants and promotes vigorous root growth, which is the basis of your seedling’s success. Plus, it is a key component of ATP (the energy unit of plants).
There’s More Harvest Hero Coming in 2021
Other cannabis and consumable-friendly products from Harvest Hero will be available for purchase in 2021! An organic perlite-based mix is also showing heroic results for cannabis growing. Benchmarked against traditional perlite and peat-based mix, this organic mix resulted in:
There are even more cannabis and garden-friendly products from Harvest Hero that will hit the shelves in 2022, including:
- Hydroponic Perlite: OMRI-approved, aimed for the most sophisticated of growers yearning for hydroponic growing.
- Perlite+ Silica: Harvest Hero’s natural enhanced perlite (no added nutrients). All the added benefits of Plant Available Silica (PAS) are absorbed into the plant tissue imparting greater resilience and resistance to plant stressors combined with the oxygen flow from the perlite in the soil.
- Natural Diatomaceous Earth: An organic soil conditioner offering Plant Available Silica (PAS) absorbed into the plant tissue imparting greater resilience and resistance to plant stressors.
Join Our Mailing List
Our blog offers insight and information about new and exciting uses for perlite, diatomaceous earth, and vermiculite deriving from years of research and application. From passive fire resistance to mineral depth filtration, by subscribing to our mailing list, you will receive the latest information surrounding the Dicalite, Dicaperl, and Specialty Vermiculite brands and products.